Monday, March 19, 2012

Offense

I feel horrible today. My head feels like its going to explode and my body aches. Last night I slept fitfully and during an episode of lying awake unable to breathe, the word offense was highlighted to me. I began searching my heart and felt like I should share. Oh and please forgive the grammatical errors!

Offense: noun
1. a lack of politeness; a failure to show regard for others; wounding the feelings or others
2. a feeling of anger caused by being offended

"But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, Raca! shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, You fool! shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift." (Matthew 5:22-24 NKJV)

How often do we let little offenses build up without forgiving? I know I'm guilty of that, I like things done certain ways and if someone doesn't do it the way I like I get "bothered", when in reality, I need to call it like it is and say "I'm offended", and walk in true forgiveness. What does that look like? Well for me, when I can pray, "I bless so and so in the name of Jesus," then I know my heart is right towards that person and the little things that were bothering me that don't matter in eternity are gone, washed away.

How's your heart? Is there someone you need to forgive?

Part of the Lord's prayer is, "forgive our debts as we forgive our debtors." Matthew 6:12
And then after the prayer Jesus says, "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matthew 6:14, 15 NKJV)

There are no limits to the number of ways one could be offended. We need to be aware of all the little things that offend us!! An offense could be as small as the tone in someones voice to as big as physical violence. An offense could be intentional or unintentional. If you do not tell someone you are offended by something they did, they might have no idea. Be honest with yourself and with others.

"Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves." (2 Corinthians 13:5 NKJV)

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12 NKJV)

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:33 NKJV)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Great job! Thanks, Stacy! <3anifici

Amaris in Wonderland said...

You are such a good writer! You convey deep things in a concise way... this entry touched me.

It does help when people are more open... it's hard when we don't know how certain things affect people.

I worry so much about that with people who are close to me, yet very different, that in my effort to walk on egg shells... i sometimes lose my balance and end up stepping all over everyone else's toes.

I've resigned myself to the fact that i am socially retarded, er, challenged... so i am trying to seek God's direction more in how to deal with individuals (and groups)...

...and you're right: most of it won't matter in eternity, but we need to be honest with ourselves and with others.

<3 you, Girl!!!

Let me know where i can use some tweaking!